Large remodeling projects can be a bit overwhelming if you're not properly prepared. Most projects are completed without a hitch, but others can really become problematic. You never really know what's going to happen until you start the process. Let's look at some things you can do to prepare yourself mentally and prepare your home for what is to come. The entire process, while sometimes overwhelming, is designed to help you fall in love with your home all over again.
1. Decide Where You Will Live: Most families choose to live in their home for the duration of the project. This works great for most people because they like to watch the process and supervise specific areas. Some families prefer to stay with family, friends, or in a hotel for the duration. Those are very viable options as well. Make the decision before the process begins if possible, that way everyone will be on the same page.
2. Prepare Ahead of Time: Remodeling is messy business. Your entire home will get dusty, even though we do our best to keep everything centralized. We can't control where the dust goes. So make sure to cover your sofa, dining table, or other valuable furnishings with plastic to protect them from dust.
3. Manage Your Money Wisely: We're not just talking about your remodeling budget here. The money you're currently still earning at your job must also be managed wisely. You will likely be eating takeout more often, and microwave cuisine costs a little more per serving than home cooked meals. You will need to keep bottled water on hand as well.
4. Manage Your Familial Relationships: Tempers will flare, people will feel frustrated, and even children feel the stress that you're feeling during a remodeling project. Make sure to keep the lines of communication open and take a break away from the house when needed.
5. Manage Working Relationships: Our crews will be busily working on whatever their project is for the day every day. Their day generally starts early and runs late in order to get every project completed in a timely manner. This means they have a lot on their minds throughout the day so if they don't respond to a direct question, just ask again. They're really not ignoring you, they're just lost in their own thoughts. Again, as with any type of relationship, keeping communication lines open is extremely important.
Call At Design Remodel at 508-477-9003 if you would like to discuss remodeling any part of your home. We would be happy to schedule an appointment at your home so we can provide reliable information and an accurate quote and timeframe. You may also visit our showroom partners in Falmouth at 419 Palmer Ave and in Bourne at 1231 Route 28A. Stop by to see and touch our kitchen and bath displays to make sure they will work for you or to get some design ideas.