The kitchen is the hardest-working room in the home. It comes as no surprise to most people that the kitchen is also the most-frequently-remodeled room in the home. This is because every homeowner is different, and we all want a kitchen that fits our individual needs. Every household has a different routine and different requirements in the kitchen. Let's take a look at the top 8 kitchen design problems and how each could be addressed differently.
1. Not Enough Space between Counter and Island: Space is already at a minimum in some kitchens, and if the island is too large for the room, walkways can become a real issue. The best way to avoid this is to make sure your island leaves plenty of space to comfortably move around.
2. Poorly Designed Kitchen Island: What does your island do? What function does it perform? Does it complete the golden triangle, or does it impede it? Consider replacing the kitchen island with one that adds true functionality to your kitchen.
3. The Golden Triangle Doesn't Exist: Great kitchen designers understand and stand by the golden triangle rule of kitchen design. This is the area that includes the refrigerator, stove, and sink. These three appliances in particular should be within easy reach of each other. You may be able to move the refrigerator and stove to flank the sink, but a full remodel may be in store for you.
4. Inadequate Ventilation: How many times have you walked into the kitchen and smelled the remnants of last night's dinner? Poor ventilation is the culprit when this happens. Make sure the range hood is working properly and that air flow through your home is also adequate.
5. Inadequate Countertop Space: Countertop space is at a premium in most older homes. This is especially true if the home is more than 10 years old and has not been remodeled. There are a few different ways to counter this particular issue. You can use cutting boards over the sink to simulate more countertop space, add a mobile cabinet that can be moved out of the way when it isn't in use, or remodel the kitchen to include more countertop space.
6. Inadequate Storage: Sometimes it's very difficult to find the right storage spot for items like the food processor or the juicer. We tend to leave them on the counter top, but they take up so much space and make the kitchen feel cluttered. The best solution is to redesign your kitchen storage to adequately handle large items.
7. Inadequate Lighting: The kitchen is the most important room in the home as far as lighting is concerned. You have to be able to see what you're doing when you prepare food or people can get sick. Consider adding task lighting, ambient lighting, or other light sources.
8. Super Trendy Colors and Designs: We love trends just as much as the next homeowner, but watch how often you use them and how far you take it. Remember that trends tend to come and go, so what's amazing today may be horribly annoying within a year.
Call @designREMODEL at 508-477-9003 if you would like to discuss problems you currently have with your kitchen and allow us to help formulate a solution.